Thursday, February 7, 2008

Social Bookmarking

I haven't yet integrated this new tool into my classroom, but I have definitely integrated it into my life. The true mark or actually integrating something into your daily routine? You value it so much that you sing its praises to your colleagues.
If you have not yet discovered social bookmarking, here's what you need to know. Sites like del.icio.us have changed the way we save information online. In the past, when you bookmarked a page, or saved it to favorites, it was stored to your hard drive and you were limited to finding it again only if you were on the same machine where you saved it. This fantastic new innovation is like an online storage yard where you can save websites that you'd like to visit again. For example, if I find a site on my home computer that has an activity I'd like to use on our interactive whiteboard, I can mark that page. Then, when I am standing in front of my class with the school laptop plugged in to the board, I can pull up my delicious and there's the site I saved yesterday.
Oh, but that's just the beginning. The SOCIAL aspect kicks in to make this an immensely useful tool. My bookmarked pages are available for the public to view, including my students, my colleagues, and total strangers searching for say...whiteboard activities relating to the original 13 colonies. Because I have tagged the site with relevant labels, people can find my bookmarks topically. In turn, I can easily find sites that may be useful to me by searching other people's bookmarks. What's exciting is, I'm not sending out a broad search of the internet via Google that could bring up anything. I'm searching sites that other people have found useful and interesting, saving me loads of time.
Again, if you have not yet indulged in this time-saving, convenience...what are you waiting for!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm slowly bringing this tool into my classroom. I'm hoping that in the near future, I will be able to work this into our school program.

This is an incredible resource that is a tool that can benefit teachers from all around. Thanks for your description.