Thursday, February 14, 2008

Blogs

So I took some time today and wandered around the blogger world. I discovered the button that sends you to the "next blog." I guess this randomly pulls up any ol' bloggers page. First it sent me to some pretentious girl in LA who likes to write a sentence a day and post as many pictures as she can find of a particular celebrity. Yesterday was Rachel Bilson. Today was the elusive, perfect navy dress.
From there, I was sent wizzing through cyberspace only to land on a page the appeared to about a church. I'm not sure if it was a church because the whole blog was in a language of Scandanavian origin.
From there, a photo gallery by someone whose comments were all in Spanish.
From there, an odd site entirely devoted mermaid worship, complete with uncomfortably provocative pictures.
Finally, I decided I had gone too far when I was sent to a dark and disturbing site with indiscernible chicken-scratch fonts.
This journey rose some questions in my mind. Why is all of this freedom necessary? Why can't these people just decorate their apartments with their bizarre interests and leave it alone? Why is it such a wonderful new world that people with outrageous interests have a way to publish them for all to be exposed to? Furthermore, how many issues does this raise that we could potentially be encouraging our students to wander this world?
I'm all for free speech and I firmly believe we have the right to our beliefs. However, I also believe impressionable children have a right to be protected and limited to the beliefs of their families and communities until they are mature enough to make reasonable choices for themselves.

1 comment:

Second Grade Teacher said...

I am in the same mindset as you where this is concerned.

The web is a useful tool, on one hand...and a dangerous "trap" on the other.

The woman in NYC who was brutally, horribly murdered had met her aquaintance at guitar camp 6 years ago and maintained contact via email, which was how the police tracked him down in PA.

She was simply trying to be an online friend to someone she met once and he became obsessed, and was a bit crazy to begin with, and for whatever reason decided to end her life. She was an adult. Then there are the children...

The young 16 year old girls who believe they are of a discerning age (and mind) and travel to some foreign land to be with "the love of their life" who is a 29 year old foreigner with links to terrorism.

It's just insane what the internet enables people to do. It can AND SHOULD be used for good. It has been (and will continue to be) used
for evil.

Thanks for sharing your valuable insights and your strange search journey from earlier today! :-) It was amusing to see it described on your blog! I was trying to picture each sight! :-)