Friday, January 25, 2008

Victory!

We're into this class for a week and I've already found a use in my classroom. I have a small group of students who've gathered together to form a community service club. (10 year olds put this together themselves!) They meet in my classroom at lunch on Fridays and today I was updating our class website while they were meeting. One of them said, "we should have a website!" I immediately set them up with a blog. They all have access to posting on it so they can respond easily to each other with just one account. I set it up to be private to anyone who isn't heading to it on purpose. Sure they won't be using it quite for its intended purpose. Maybe a wiki would be more practical? Unfortunately, I haven't played with those yet. They were pretty content and excited with this.
Just thought I'd share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are really enjoying these new technological tools that we are learning about. I really wish that I could implement these things into my current classroom. Well, I can, but I can't get the students involved. Enjoy!

KB said...

Nice going! It's good to know you are exposing your students to this at an early age. I am so impressed that you found a way to incorporate something we are learning about in your classroom. I am still pondering how I might go about doing that. You'll have to let us know how your students respond to blogging.

Lauren said...

I also found use for some of our class work in my own classroom, only I've been using my social bookmark for kids to find resources to use for their research paper. Next year I would love to use the blog idea for assignments. My only concern would be computer access, since it's not feasibly to go to the library every week for class.